For some, the journey to getting dreads is full of drama so a Gif You Can Do It (A Dreads Giftology) is a fitting homage to those who have taken that perilous hair journey and succeeded.
1. When you made up your mind you are getting dreads!
2. How your Dad reacts when you tell him:
3. Your brothers’ reaction when you blurt it out in front of your mom:
4. How your mother reacts when you tell her:
5. Your mother, after she gets over the shock:
6. You explaining your decision to your relatives at thanksgiving dinner:
7. The family back home’s reaction:
8. You while the dreads are going through that locking phase and you want no trouble:
9. You when your hair is locking and finally looking good!
Five years later….styling & profiling!
While the journey may have been eventful, those who stuck it out said it was the best decision of their lives. Burnt scalps, destroyed hairlines and hiding of the true self become a thing of the past. What was even more fulfilling for them was when those people who were the most critical at the beginning, actually starting envying their long dreads years later.
Like the Miley Cyrus song says, “ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side–its the climb”. The point of taking risks is to make a change for the better even when it seems like it won’t work out. Enjoy your journey while you are on the way and it all works out in the end.
By Paula Barker (Silkielocks.com)
Buy my e-book: Dreadlocks: A Hairstylist’s Manifest (Silkielocks.com/Amazon.com)
***This page has affiliate links to products/services I feel are relevant to you. I may be compensated for purchases through these links. Thank you for your support.
Call (613) 789-2179 for an appointment if you are in the Ottawa, Ontario area.