Fall is here with lots of calls for rain. With rain comes humidity. What is
humidity and why does it matter? If you have curls and waves, humidity is the ultimate cuss word. Many hairstyles for important events have been changed because of this weather phenomenon.
“Humidity”, is the presence of water vapour in the atmosphere. People with curly or wavy hair know this exists because it causes frizz. It occurs in hot weather too and is just as deadly to a hairstyle. You can add all the straightening products you want. One dose of humidity can undo all that if you are careless (come to think of it, so is experiencing menopause!). There are many anti-humidity products on the market. As long as you manage the amount of humidity you are exposed to, your hair can do fine.
If you want to straighten your hair you need to know what humidity is and why it matters. To ensure your hair will stay straight for a prolonged period of time:
- After you shampoo and apply conditioner, apply a straightening product e.g. straightening balm, lotion or styling gel.
- Comb through to get even coverage
- Pin your hair or separate in sections.
- Blow dry and style.
- Apply a anti-humidity spray
- Cover your hair if you will be outside for any length of time. Sometimes in hot weather, the roots will curl slightly but the rest is fine. If you are experiencing menopause, bring something to pin your hair up–things could get wet.
I have two books for sale on amazon: “Dreadlocks, A Hairstylist’s Manifest”, and “Talking Hair”. I would appreciate your support. Thank You.
Call (613) 789-2179 For An Appointment If You Are In The Ottawa, Ontario Area.
Women who sometimes straighten their naturally curly hair complain that the hair curls back up. What is humidity and why does it matter is important so one can know what hairstyle to choose.
By Paula Barker, Silkie Locks Hair Design